“What are some good Banff winter activities?” The answer is… there are A LOT.
There’s honestly no better place on Earth to spend winter. Here in the mountains winter lasts for up to 8 months but here are 20 reasons not to spend it cooped up indoors… you’ll be missing out on the most breath-taking season of all! (Disclaimer: Enjoy these activities responsibly and make sure you always have the proper gear. Winter in the Rockies is no joke.) All images by Elite YYC, unless otherwise stated.
1. Skate on the Bow River
2. Play hockey on the Banff High School skating rink
3. Soak in the Banff Hot Springs and let your hair turn into icicles
6. Dog sledding and/or sleigh riding through the Rockies
(Photo: Google Images)
8. Tubing and night skiing at Norquay
This is a whole lot of fun for not very much money, and easy for anyone to enjoy. Norquay is only minutes from Banff, so you don’t have to waste too much time getting there either! Read more about it here!
9. Catch the Northern Lights by Lake Minnewanka or Vermilion Lakes
10. Visit a frozen waterfall at Johnston Canyon
11. World class skiing at Lake Louise and Sunshine Village
12. Cross-country skiing at Canmore’s Nordic Centre
13. Visit a backcountry cabin like Bow Hut or Mary Shaffer Cabin (Lake O’Hara)
15. Soak in some natural hot springs just outside Kootenay Park
16. Go on a snowshoeing adventure at Sunshine Village
17. Visit the Ice Castle Exhibition in Edmonton
18. Go searching for bubbles on frozen lakes (Minnewanka and Abraham Lake are good bets)
19. Throw a cup of hot water into -25 air and watch it turn into snow